Is Drug and Alcohol Rehab Supported by Most Workplaces?

In recent years, drug and alcohol abuse has had a serious impact on workplace performance in the United States because millions of people are addicted to substances like alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, and heroin. If you’re fighting a secret addiction that is becoming increasingly difficult to conceal at work, get help so you don’t lose your job. Keep in mind that you are not alone in your problem—a rise in high-pressure, high-stress jobs in fast-paced industries has led to an alarming increase in addictions to alcohol, illicit drugs, or substance abuse of prescription drugs.

Many workplaces today support the mental and physical health of their employees through Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) and Family and Medical Leave Acts (FMLA). Socially responsible organizations support the wellness of their employees because it’s in their best interests. They have noticed that proactive employee assistance policies attract, retain, and engage the best employees. Additionally, many have noticed how much their corporate support leads to better employee productivity, higher morale, and reduced turnover.

What You Need to Know About EAP, FMLA, and ADA

Employee assistance programs, or EAPs, provide employees with access to healthcare professionals when necessary. They can help employees who are suffering from mental health concerns to manage their conditions. Employees can use them for short-term counseling on topics such as grief, depression, substance abuse, and other issues. Another resource employees can use is the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). This is a federal law that allows certain employees to take unpaid time off. This medical leave allows them to take 12 weeks off every year from work to manage any personal issues.

If you’re worried that you might lose your job by requesting time to get professional help for your drug or alcohol addiction, keep in mind that the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects you when you’re in addiction recovery from workplace discrimination. Your employer can’t fire you based on your decision to seek help for your addiction. However, this law does not protect you from disciplinary actions such as termination of misconduct while on the job because you were inebriated.

How to Use Employee Assistance Programs for Substance Abuse Assistance

Employee Assistance Programs, which are completely confidential, can be used for a variety of reasons, including substance abuse issues. If you’re not sure whether your employer offers it, talk to your human resources department. Alternatively, you can read the paperwork you received when you were hired to see if your company offers it. Through this program, you can get a variety of healthcare services, such as screenings, mental health treatment referrals, and follow-up care. The program can help you if you suffer from a substance abuse disorder and need help to break free from your addiction.

If you don’t have the time to go to counseling or to an outpatient rehab clinic because of your busy work schedule, this program could be the ideal way for you to get the substance abuse treatment you need. It’s designed to help you get your physical and mental health back on track so that you are more productive, more creative, and more proficient at your job. In some outpatient rehab programs, you can stay employed while receiving treatment for substance abuse, but in others, you will have to take a leave of absence to focus on your recovery.

How to Use Using Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) for Drug or Alcohol Rehab

FMLA is a US labor law which allows people to take unpaid or paid leave when ill or experiencing a medical emergency. You can use it for many things, including getting treatment for an addiction. If you need more intensive rehab treatment than you can receive through an EAP, this is a good option, especially if wish to pursue inpatient drug or alcohol rehab.

If you are an employee who needs to take FMLA, you should inform your employer in advance. Let them know what type of treatment you need to receive from the company’s insurance provider before they approve your request. This federal law gives employees who meet certain requirements the right to take unpaid leave for mental health reasons. However, if you plan to go for inpatient rehab, you should file an FMLA request to avoid possible conflicts with your company’s policies.

Since addiction is among the most difficult addictions mental health issues to conquer on your own, it affects every area of your life, including your productivity and relationships at work. Call us today at 833-610-1174 to find out more about your options for getting into a Drug and Alcohol Rehab program when you are employed.

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.
Max. file size: 32 MB.
Max. file size: 32 MB.